Southworks Antiques is located in one of Cambridge’s most Historic buildings, that had its beginnings as the Dumfries Foundry built in 1847, afterwards in 1859 Goldie & McCulloch Factory, later known as the Southworks building of Babcox – Wilcox.
Southworks Antiques is a family owned business dedicated to the best in customer service and merchandise. We are committed to being the Best in Class of the Antiques and Collectibles Industry for both Consumers and Dealers.
Southworks prides itself in being a leader within the industry with vetting programs, appraisal clinics, educational seminars, bus trips, and fair practise standards.
The Story Behind Southworks Mall
Southworks Outlet Mall is named after the South Works of Babcock & Wilcox. Dumfries Foundry is the forerunner of
B & W and was founded in 1844 by James Andrews and James Crombie. The foundry was located on a site which is commonly thought to be where the Cambridge Bus Depot is located. In 1847 Dumfries Foundry moved to the Grand Avenue site.
In 1850 Andrews experienced personal financial difficulties and Crombie, at the age of 32, took over the business. The Dumfries Foundry was renamed Jas. Crombie & Co. It was gaining an excellent reputation for building engines. When Great Britain became embroiled in the Crimean War in 1854 it was a great stimulant to Crombie’s business because with Britain manufacturing war materials, Canada had to satisfy its own needs from its own resources. This created an industrial boom in Galt and there was a “great increase of hands” – among them, two young Scotsmen, John Goldie and Hugh McCulloch.
By 1859 these enterprising Scots had pooled their resources to come up with a $4,400 down payment and bought the business from Crombie for $50,000. Crombie held their note at 6% interest. The Foundry had twenty-two workers. Many years later H.L. McCulloch, the grandson of Hugh, said Crombie expected these two young men would fail and that the business would come back to him at a fraction of the original purchase price. The next sixty years were to see Goldie McCulloch grow into a major manufacturing company with a broad line of products. The company manufactured steam engines and turbines, French Burr millstones, Turbine Water Wheels, Bark Mills and a variety of Tannery apparatus. In these early days the company had a facility in the manufacture of safe doors, which remained a major product line for many years.
In 1923 an amalgamation took place between Goldie McCulloch Limited and Babcock & Wilcox. The new company continued to manufacture boilers, boiler accessories, superheaters, economizers, stokers, engines, pumps, turbines, condensers, and so on. Branch offices were opened across the country.
Shurly-Dietrich was founded by Jerome C. Dietrich and Cosmos J. Shurly in 1873 in an old tannery building on Malcolm Street, owned by the Goldie & McCulloch Foundry. Malcolm Street is where Southworks Boardwalk is now located. The buildings were situated on the property that is now Southwork’s North Parking Lot.
Jerome Dietrich was born in New York State in 1838 and both he and Cosmos Shurly worked for Joseph Flint, a Rochester, New York saw manufacturer. They founded Shurly and Dietrich Co. with an initial investment of $12,000 and commenced operations in Galt with nine skilled saw makers who were brought in from Rochester and Sheffield, England. Canada in those days still had forests to be cleared and there was a ready market for top quality saws that would stand up to harsh conditions. Shurly Dietrich emphasized quality and the company’s saws were readily accepted by loggers throughout Canada, the United States and the British Empire. They were one of the first companies in Canada to use the Maple Leaf as a symbol of things Canadian.
The company developed expertise in the hardening and tempering of steel and produced about 40,000 tons of light armoured plate during the Second World War, returning to the production of saws and machine knives after the war. By 1968 Shurly Dietrich was producing 1,400,000 feet of metal-cutting band saw blades and 1,000,000 jigsaw blades annually. An American company, H.K. Porter, purchased Shurly Dietrich in 1969 and continued operations in Galt (now Cambridge) until 1973, when, after a hundred years in business, the plant was closed.
Babcock & Wilcox continued at the South Works site until the building was sold in 1987. A Bertram Punching & Shearing Machine purchased by B & W in 1904 is now installed on the Boardwalk on the North side of the Southworks complex. Keep your eyes posted for other artifacts as you shop in these old buildings.
The first factory outlet, Florsheim Shoes, was opened in 1991. A group of local Cambridge investors formed Southworks Outlet Mall, Inc., in late 1996 and most of the development at Southworks has taken place since that time. Today the complex is filled with various interesting retail shops plus a 30,000 square foot Antique Mall drawing people from across North America.